Carlos Duque provides strategic corporate and securities counseling for a variety of high growth companies specifically in payments, gaming law, and securities finance. His broad range of experience encompasses with gaming law, digital payments, corporate M&A, securities and commercial litigation, as well as corporate governance, and tax issues.
As in-house counsel, Carlos advised the company and the board of directors on various issues pertaining to securities law, employment, bankruptcy, and tax matters. He successfully navigated the company through a securities class action and successful reorganization through Chapter 11 in bankruptcy proceedings.
Carlos regularly oversees litigation matters pertaining to breaches of state and federal securities laws (33 & 34 Act and Blue Sky laws), in addition to breach of contractual duty to deliver securities. He has prepared quarterly and annual SEC filings for companies trading over the counter and looking to uplist to NYSE or NASDAQ. Carlos has also advised boards on securities issues, particularly disclosure requirements, identified conflicts of interest, and advised when creation of an independent committee was necessary or appropriate.
His work with daily fantasy sports clients includes preparation of various legal opinions to payment processors, confirming that gaming clients were acting in conformance with state and federal gambling prohibitions including the Wire Act, IGBA, and UIGEA.
- Lead counsel in international merger between a Swedish natural foods company incorporated in Hong Kong into a Delaware Company
- Structured and executed dozens of seed, A and B Round raises for startup companies in a variety of verticals
- Prepared term sheet and offering memoranda for medical marijuana startup company in Boston, MA; required for-profit and non-profit sister companies operating in tandem in order to comply with changing cannabis regulations in the Commonwealth
- Advised on various fund formation and capital raises for real estate funds in California, Massachusetts, and Florida
- Managed acquisition of Florida based payments company by Delaware Company headquartered in Brazil
- Formed wholly owned subsidiary in Florida for Brazilian company for purposes of rolling out a nationwide franchising operation in the US pest control space
- Negotiated Master Services Agreement and Statement of Work for leading voice of customer SaaS platform to deliver services to a variety of fortune 500 enterprise customers
- Negotiate and prepare term sheets and offering memoranda for numerous startups in biotechnology, FinTech, social media, cannabis, and coin issuers companies
- Managed international business transactions in Brazil, Mexico and Argentina